Eliminate assert and lazy from D?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 12 23:50:11 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> Usually you're
> all for adding features (hey, you just brought up the switch again!
> isn't that ironic?) and cleaning up bad parts of the language,

Sorry, I'm not a computer scientist, and surely I am not a language designer (especially for a C++-class language), so you may see some contradictions in what I sometimes say :-)

I have brought up the switch again because I was nervous, after spending some time to find a bug caused by the current design of the switch.

There are classes of bugs that aren't easy to avoid, but I think with a less bug-prone switch I may avoid bugs like the one I have removed from my code.
One of the most basic part of the Zen of D is to help programmers to avoid bugs, where possible.

I hate the idea of having 3 different switches in the language (that's why I was not happy to see the static switch, because a better redesign of the *second* switch was in order). But the current situation of switch is not good for D yet.

Bye,
bearophile