dmd development model.

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 06:10:36 PDT 2009

Walter Bright, el 12 de octubre a las 21:57 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >I know it could be a little hard for you to change the way you work and
> >start making small self-contained commits, but since there are a lot of
> >bug fixes with patches in bugzilla now (thanks for releasing the code BTW,
> >which made this possible :), at least for those patches, is very easy to
> >do a single commit for each one.
> >
> >And I agree, making DMD releases more organized could improve a *lot* this
> >situation. All you have to do is schedule the release, you can have
> >a period of time where you fold in new changes / bug fixes, then declare
> >a "feature freeze" ("bug fix folding freeze" for DMD 1) and make a release
> >candidate. You can give, I don't know, about a week, for testing the RC
> >and if there are no regressions or complains, you do the actual release
> >(or fix the regressions before releasing if there is any).
> >
> >The RC can be just a tag in the VCS (I think it would be nicer to have an
> >easily distributable package though, Robert even offered himself to do
> >nightly builds automatically for you, so that shouldn't be a problem if
> >the offer is still open).
> >

> >I think you are making huge improvements in moving DMD to a more open
> >development model (which I think it's crucial for widespread adoption of
> >D). If you can do smaller commits, improve the release scheduling and do
> >RCs, it would be a new huge step in that direction.
>
> I do agree that opening up the full source of dmd has been a huge
> win. There are a lot of eyeballs looking at the code now, and a lot
> of patches for it posted to bugzilla. I admit I'm a little slow in
> changing the way I find it comfortable to work, but things do get
> better <g>.

Well, thanks for trying and doing it, even when doing it slowly =)

By the way, using a VCS capable of bisecting[1] combined with small
commits makes finding which code introduced a regression very easy, even
without having a small testcase (this is the problem we have right now
with Tango for example).

So I hope you can consider doing small commits (again, at least for the
patches in bugzilla that are already small in general). I'm not suggesting
changing the VCS (yet :) because it can be a little hard to learn a new
VCS and we can automatically convert the svn to other VCS (or use git-svn)
in the meantime.

[1] Practical exmaple using Git:
    http://jbowes.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/git-bisect-a-practical-example-with-yum/

--