Goodbye

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:47:07 PDT 2009

"Yigal Chripun" <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:hb2u2n$2if8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 13/10/2009 20:24, Saaa wrote:
>> Yigal Chripun wrote
>>

>>> ego has nothing to do with being smart.
>>> you can be extremely smart without getting on people's nerves all the
>>> time.
>>
>> A smart person can choose when to get on somebody's nerves ;)
>>

> The bible says about Noah that he was the most just and moral person in
> his generation.
> There are two opposed interpretations for this:
> positive: his generation was so morally corrupt that managing to be moral
> in such a harsh environment is a virtue.
> negative: Noah is moral relative to his generation which doesn't mean a
> lot on an absolute scale since his generation was so corrupt.
>
> not all men are born equal so we all choose from the above points of view.
> you can either decrease the value of others to feel good about yourself or
> you can strive to improve yourself and therefore increase your value in
> the eyes of others. the latter is harder but it's the only beneficial way
> for mankind. obviously, being egotistical belongs to the former.
>
> consider this:
> when a person asks a question on the NG (might be extremly stupid
> question) the (smart) person to reply can either give a snide remark and
> thereby decrease the size of this community by one or give constructive
> information, relevant links, etc and gain one more D programmer. I'd say
> that the latter is the smart choice.
> we have a saying in Hebrew which translates roughly as:
> a smart man knows how to avoid a pitfall which a knowledgeable person can
> figure a way out of.

Getting on somebody's nerves doesn't necessarily serve as a way to feel
better about oneself.
Also, improving oneself doesn't necessarily mean others will see this
improvement.
And, improving oneself is sometimes easier than making somebody else
feel bad about her/his self.
A snide remark doesn't always mean the other person will leave.
The Hebrew saying is mostly about the difference between being smart and
being intelligent; a tad unrelated.

The important word in my sentence was "can": being able to choose the
emotion in which you'd like to react.
Learning how Not to let your blood boil when expecting a snide remark
is another good ability, I think.