Revamped concurrency API

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Oct 15 01:27:17 PDT 2009

Bartosz Milewski:

>With every release of D we are narrowing our options. After D2 and TDPL, backward compatibility will become a major thing, so every ad-hoc feature in D2 will have to be carried over.<

D is a bit compatible with the C language, but one of the main selling points of D (D1, D2, D3...) is its newer and cleaned up nature.
So I think D3 will break compatibility with frozen-D2 in many places, trying to fix the design errors of D2. D3 will not have a quick release schedule, I think it will try to learn from D2 and D1 in a more thought-out way, because D2 will be an essentially complete language, so the purpose of D3 will be mostly to improve things replacing features with better ones that do similar things :-) For example in D3 the switch may use three ... points as in the GCC extension, and so on. In the meantime people will often use D1 (until LDC becomes a good D2 compiler).

Bye,
bearophile