dmd support for IDEs

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:23:29 PDT 2009

Sorry for the slow reply here; I keep getting sidetracked.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 08:05:06PM -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> One cool thing is combining sshfs with autofs. That way the connection
> is automatically made when you first open a dir. For example, if I write:

That looks cool. I'll have to look into it.

> What are the issues that you encountered?

My big problem is just one of speed. I've been able to work around some of it
by changing my editor config (moving vim's swap file to a local dir made the
biggest difference), but there is still an annoying noticeable lag when
reading and writing the file.

I often edit files in a rapid way: make a small change, save, recompile+run
or refresh the page if a web app - I want to see the changes as instantly
as possible.

The sshfs lag isn't much, but it adds up quickly when doing several
small changes. I find that if any given task takes hours, I can be very
patient, but if it takes milliseconds, I get annoyed easily!

> My problems invariably involve
> suspending the laptop to RAM or changing wireless connections, to then
> find sshfs blocked.

I haven't encountered that, but I also work from my desktop. (Even when
on my laptop, I tend to run most programs remotely from the desktop - this
is one of the driving forces behind my "D Windowing System" project described
in the other thread. (That, and I just want an easy, simple API for my common
tasks in D - kill two birds with one stone, I figure.)

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net