dmd support for IDEs and the D tool chain

Eric Suen eric.suen.tech at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 19:22:55 PDT 2009

"Lutger" wrote
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>
>> Here is my thoughts and what I think is needed to build a really good
>> IDE and maybe get some attention from the enterprise. It's really not
>> enough for the compiler to output some json for an IDE to use, the whole
>> tool chain needs to be revised.
>
> I think this list is what the toolchain might look like after it already
> has
> gotten some attention, not a requirement of what is needed.
>
> This is a cut-down list with some comments:
>
>> Compiler:
>>   * Supports all major platform
>>   * 32 and 64bit support
>>   * Doesn't have annoying bugs like forward reference errors and problem
>>     with the linker
>>   * Can build dynamic libraries
>>   * Supports incremental builds
>
> Clearly many programming languages manage without a compiler written in
> their native language and I doubt clang is even used in enterprise
> context.

Because of many programming language is not design for speed, there is
no point to write a compiler in there native language. Even Java's compiler
is writtern in Java, why not D? Compiler bootstrapping is very basic
technique,
A large proportion of programming languages are bootstrapped. It is nosense
write D compiler in C, that means the D language author does not want to use
D language. Does Walter Bright use D for any projects himself?

Regards,

Eric