dmd support for IDEs and the D tool chain

BCS none at anon.com
Sat Oct 17 12:08:01 PDT 2009

Hello Ellery,

> Do LALR parsers care about arbitrary
> lookahead? LL(k) parsers do.

LALR needs to be able to unambiguously determine all the /completed/ productions
to the left of each point by looking at nothing beyond the next token to
the right. This might not be conservative enough, but I seem to remember
that most parser corner cases don't crop up in practice.

In general LL needs to known exactly what productions are "in process" where
are LR needs to, at each level, have a finite set of options and only needs
things to become unambiguous before it finishes a production.

(BTW I'm taking (but haven't yet finished) a compilers class so I might be
missing something)