64-bit

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Sun Oct 18 02:32:07 PDT 2009

Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:56:44 -0400, Just Visiting thusly wrote:

> I won't deny that for certain people 32-bit systems are still perfectly
> useful. Just my clients do not share this view for a series of good
> reasons. Even their older systems tend to be 64-bit nowadays. Migration
> towards 64-bit OSes is under way. There is still 32-bit compatibility if
> needed. At the same time certain programs will perform drastically
> better when compiled to 64-bit. Replacement thus can be postponed which
> is usually the best way to keep CFOs happy.

64-bit programs often also require larger CPU caches to work efficiently,
more disk space (larger binaries), and finally larger memory consumption.
32-bit x86 + PAE still works until you have more than 64 GB of RAM or
processes larger than 2 or 3 GB. So, in desktop use 32-bit feels like the
best way to go unless 64-bit algorithms are provably more efficient in
the chosen task.