64-bit

BCS none at anon.com
Sun Oct 18 20:38:32 PDT 2009

Hello Just,

> I won't deny that for certain people 32-bit systems are still
> perfectly useful.
> Just my clients do not share this view for a series of good reasons.
> Even
> their older systems tend to be 64-bit nowadays. Migration towards
> 64-bit
> OSes is under way. There is still 32-bit compatibility if needed. At
> the same
> time certain programs will perform drastically better when compiled to
> 64-bit.
> Replacement thus can be postponed which is usually the best way to
> keep
> CFOs happy.

If you know in advance that ALL of your market is 64bit today, or If you
expect the client to buy whatever you tell them to (I understand that graphical
designers buy whatever the photoshop box says to buy) that's one thing, but
If you are selling to people who will only upgrade if forced to, then only
shipping in 64bit is just spending someone else money (never a good idea).
It sounds like you might be in the first cases so you might be fine, but
enough users of D are in the second case that 32 is not a waist of time for
a lot of people.