Revamped concurrency API

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 03:00:19 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Speaking of switch, I have tried to convince Walter to require either a
> break; or a goto case xxx; at the end of each snippet inside a switch. I
> was surprised by his answer: "but I use fall through all the time!" :o)
>
> I personally think requiring a goto case xxx; is more robust in presence
> of code maintenance because its semantics is invariant to code moves.
>

> Andrei

First of all goto case is without a doubt safer and more robust but
please leave as much of D as possible to remain compatible with C.

Since D has objects a lot of code can be polymorphic through the
classes/interfaces that C didn't have.

C's design is trust the programmer, provide full power. It is unsafe
agreed but by design. Breaking compatibility between D1, D2 etc may be
an issue but if you loose the C then you lose what defines D.