dmd support for IDEs + network GUI

Nick B nickB at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:53:47 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.208.1255923114.20261.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 09:06:38PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> Excellent! Sounds exactly like what I had in mind. I'll definately want
>>> keep an eye on this. Any webpage or svn or anything yet?
>> I wrote up some of a webpage for it over the weekend:
>>
>> http://arsdnet.net/dws/
>>
>> I haven't had a chance to clean up my code yet, so it isn't posted, but
>> there's some overview text there, including some implementation details
>> that
>> I haven't discussed yet here, but the document still has a long way to go.
>>
>> But there it is, becoming more organized than anything I've written on it
>> before.

Adam.  What you written at your web site is a very interesting read.

Re your use of a binary protocol.

Perhaps instead of re-inventing the wheel, you may want to look at what
Google has done with the design of their  Google Protocol Buffers, which
also implements a very fast binary protocol.  See here for a overview:

http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/overview.html

It is also worthwhile reading the section called "A bit of history".

Note that there is also D implementation.

http://256.makerslocal.org/wiki/index.php/ProtocolBuffer

I don't know how current this is, though.

One more point. What, if any, library to you plan to use ?

cheers
Nick B