No header files?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 18:19:31 PDT 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:21:32 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> The C/C++ way of headers + lib has problems which D inherited as part
>> of the same (broken) design.
>
> Hardly, as:
>
> 1. you don't need to use header files in D at all
>
> 2. you can automatically generate .di files, guaranteeing they are not
> out of sync

That second one is not true if you are doing incremental building (ever
use a build tool that occasionally screws up and doesn't rebuild
something?).  In addition, the only *true* reason to use .di files is to
hide implementation -- which the auto generator does *not* do.  So you are
back to hand editing and back to sync problems.

IMO .di files are as horrible as header files in C and I avoid them like
the plague.  I'd hate to have to use them, but so far, I haven't had any
public release of proprietary code, so no need for them yet.

-Steve