Semicolons: mostly unnecessary?

AJ aj at nospam.net
Wed Oct 21 18:54:43 PDT 2009

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hbo88h$1qk$1 at digitalmars.com...
> AJ wrote:
>> Walter, do you write at all? If so, why not take a breather and write an
>> article about this, given that you have direct experience in addition to
>> opinion on the topic? :)
>
> I write an awful lot - blogs, documentation, articles, presentations, etc.
> The ; debate, though, is a very old and tired one, and makes me tired just
> thinking about it :-) So many much more interesting things to write about.
>
> Bottom line: yes, there is a case both ways. Nobody will be convinced to
> change sides. Both can be made to work. There's nothing new to say about
> it.

How about just a list of pros and cons for each? Or even, just the esoteric
things that you as an implementer may already know that the layman doesn't?

Semicolons As Statement Terminators On Single-Statement Lines

Pros:

1. Makes parsing of certain (they need to be listed) constructs easier (how
much?) (?).
2.

Cons:

1. Makes source code less comprehensible.
2. Is redundant with the newline designator.
3. Is more typing.
4.