No header files?

AJ aj at nospam.net
Wed Oct 21 19:16:34 PDT 2009

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.226.1256173717.20261.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 08:05:46PM -0500, AJ wrote:
>> Well of course header files will have comments. The thing is though,
>> tomes
>> of documentation are not necessary you have header files. And what are
>> the
>> chances that the documentation will be in synch with the code if the
>> documentation is external? Much better chance of that if the header file
>> IS
>> the documentation and the code is crafted such that it needs very little
>> doc.
>
> That's what ddoc is all about.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/ddoc.html

Even that is over-kill when formal documentation is not required. "one size
fits all" hardly ever does (never?). Sure, if you're Microsoft, you need to
formally document in great detail the API. But most development does not
require the large-scale solutions. A lot of times (I'd say the common case)
does not require external formal documentation. While these kinds of things
may be nice in certain situations, they don't wipe out everything else once
they are created. My way of thinking is such that eliminates the need for
yet another programming task while your's seems to be to take that task for
granted and automate it. That's fine, there's no one correct answer other
than do it the way you like to. I won't be ditching header files.