Semicolons: mostly unnecessary?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Oct 22 03:58:05 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky:

> I'm already kicking myself for trying to jump into the middle of yet another
> semicolon debate, but..."burden" of semicolons? Isn't that a bit overstated?
> I suppose it depends on the person, but I find it to be every bit as
> automatic as reaching for the Shift key when I write camelcase, or hitting
> enter for a new line, or going for control when I want to arrow around a
> word-at-a-time. And those are hardly burdens (and sure, technically a
> semicolon plus newline is more than *just* newline, but only negligibly so).

Yes, you are right, adding the semicolon doesn't take a lot of time, but when you miss it, the program doesn't compile, and you have to find where you have missed it, sometimes this requires some time.
And I've seen plenty of newbie programmers that think "the computer" is idiot and fussy for asking them to put such useless semicolons. I guess this is not a strong argument because newbie programmers will probably not want to start with D as first language :-)

Bye,
bearophile