Who's using structs nested in functions?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Oct 22 07:07:15 PDT 2009

Refer to:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/struct.html

and scroll down to the last section, "Nested Structs". A struct defined
inside a function has a hidden pointer to that function's stack frame
and therefore can use function's local variables.

Nested classes do a similar trick, but for those there's a bit of
motivation - you could create a nested class and use it as a sort of
closure by returning a base class or interface of it.

With nested structs, however, you can't do much. You can pass them to a
template, but I can't see some solid use cases there. My understanding
is that nested structs have been implemented for completeness and
consistency with nested classes.

Any good example of nested struct uses?

Andrei