Semicolons: mostly unnecessary?

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Oct 22 11:19:59 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> Hello bearophile,
>
>> BCS:
>>
>>> - it allows long code lines to be folded
>>>
>> This is not a problem, when you have optional semicolons, you add some
>> syntax to fold long lines. Python uses \ Mathematica uses \\ and so
>> on. Languages like Scala, Boo, Genie, etc seem able to survive.
>
> The only one of those in common use is Python and its not a good date
> point because of all the other whitespace stuff it does (it's in a
> category all its own).

	Ruby?

> Also line continuation Is just ugly. (And before you ask, no, I don't
> think semicolons are ugly)

	I think both semicolons and line continuation are ugly. However,
when you have mandatory semicolons they are *everywhere*. OTOH line
continuations are very rare, especially since in Python they are
only needed in case of ambiguity so you can write:

some_long_function_name (some_long_argument_name,
                          some_other_long_argument_name)

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr