Semicolons: mostly unnecessary?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 13:16:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 08:33:44PM +0200, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
> 	OTOH, nobody sane argues that we should add extra punctuation
> between words when there is already a space. So *your* logic fails
> comparison too...

The difference is that a semicolon in D isn't analogous to a space at all.
It is, however, directly analogous to a period in English; indeed, even to
a semicolon.

A period separates one statement from the next, just like D's semicolon.
Spaces separate individual components of it - words in English, variable
names in D.

The next level up is the paragraph, which is analogous to the braced block
in code.

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net