Semicolons: mostly unnecessary?

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Oct 22 13:22:21 PDT 2009

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 08:33:44PM +0200, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
>> 	OTOH, nobody sane argues that we should add extra punctuation
>> between words when there is already a space. So *your* logic fails
>> comparison too...
>
> The difference is that a semicolon in D isn't analogous to a space at all.
> It is, however, directly analogous to a period in English; indeed, even to
> a semicolon.
>
> A period separates one statement from the next, just like D's semicolon.
> Spaces separate individual components of it - words in English, variable
> names in D.

	The difference is that there is rarely more than one statement per
line in D, whereas it is common in English to have sentence endings
in the middle of a line.

	Nobody said that you could do without any separation between
statements, but when there already is a clear separation then adding
an extra punctuation is just visual noise.

> The next level up is the paragraph, which is analogous to the braced block
> in code.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr