Semicolons: mostly unnecessary?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Oct 22 15:01:57 PDT 2009

Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
>     And what about the spaces version? After all, nobody suggested
> removing *all* separation between statements like you did, just
> *redundant* separation.

The spaces and punctuation were quite redundant in the message. I doubt
it would be difficult to write a program that would take that and insert
all the spaces and punctuation.

I'm not much of a written language historian, but paragraphs, spaces,
punctuation, and case were all invented to improve readability. Very old
written languages have none of them, they're just a wall of letters.

Punctuation and whitespace are in programming languages to improve
readability and reduce errors (some of these choices make the languages
harder to parse, but are worthwhile because they make it easier for
humans to parse).