No header files?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Oct 23 02:43:42 PDT 2009

On 10/23/09 05:08, AJ wrote:
> "BCS"<none at anon.com>  wrote in message
> news:a6268ffbc7d8cc213dc5feed9c at news.digitalmars.com...
>> Hello aJ,
>>
>>> "BCS"<none at anon.com>  wrote in message
>>> news:a6268ffbc158cc2111f3e3b246 at news.digitalmars.com...

>>> No, not at all. I realized far back in this thread that I can develop
>>> in D as I do now in C++ (header files come first). The thread went on
>>> with people trying to convince me how wrong that process is (?).
>>>

>> I'm still not clear on exactly what you plan on doing.
>
> "Traditional" (read C/C++ like) software development.
>
>> If you plan on generating the function prototypes
>
> Nope. I plan on hand-crafting header files before I create any
> implementation files.
>
>>   in a .d file and filling out the bodies later, go for it.
>
> Oh, by "generating" (bad choice of word), you meant "writing". Yes I do.
>
>> If you plan on hand writing the .di file
>
> Ooops! No I don't! Yes, I will be "modeling" via header files.
>
>>   and then writing the implementation in a .d file... ah... that's a bad
>> idea (for one there is no error checking between a .di file and the
>> implementation file).
>
> Now you get what I was saying above! Yes?
>
> Ohhhh! You mean that .di files are NOT like C++ header files. I think I see
> what you mean. Other people have told me I could work the same way I
> currently do in C++, but apparently, there is a big paradigm shift in the
> development model between C++ and D. I never even considered that D meant
> changing the process. Very, very good info I am getting here. Maybe I asked
> too soon about a D IDE, as I can't invest as much time (brainpower actually)
> as required to get my mind around the "whole smear" right now. I may just
> concentrate on select features of D for now (as I have been doing).

I can't see why it's so important for your development process to have
the declaration and implementation of classes and methods in separate
files. If you want a person to develop the declaration and another to do
the implementation why not just use a .d file and write the methods with
empty bodies and then hand over the file to the person how will do the
implementation?