[OT] Re: Targeting C

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Fri Oct 23 14:52:50 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/std_range.html#iota
>>>
>>> Irony minded. I'm destroyed.
>>
>> Hm... this is slightly off topic, but that function signature is
>> absolutely horrendous (in fact, I thought you linked to the wrong
>> place at first).  Isn't there any way to avoid putting half the type
>> construction as the return value?  Do all range-creating functions
>> suffer from this problem?  Maybe it's just a ddoc problem.
>
> I wanted to use auto, but ddoc cannot document functions with auto returns.

Is it too hard to fix that? I think ddoc works before the semantic pass
so the return type is null by then, but it isn't very hard to see a "if
type.next != null" in the source code...

I say it because I also find horrendous the signature. And what's more,
it's hard to find the word "iota" there.

I also think "iota" is an awful name for that function.