Shared Hell

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:34:03 PDT 2009

Denis Koroskin Wrote:

> I've recently updated to DMD2.035 (from DMD2.031 because all the later
> versions had issues with imports) and for the first time faced problems
> with shared modifier.

A quick trip over to bugzilla is all you need to see that shared is completely broken. Here's what I see as basic functionality that is broken: 3035, 3089, 3090, 3091, 3102, 3349.

Half of those are bugs I created within an hour of trying to use shared for real. I also have a bug in druntime as well, but Batosz's rewrite should address that issue. Interestingly, even though I reported that bug long ago, it still bit me. It was the source of a segfault that took me 3 months to track down (mostly due to an inability to use gdb until recently).

My code is littered with places that cast away shared since it was so utterly unusable when I tried. I'm still waiting for basic bugs to be closed before I try again.