GC Sentinel

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 11:19:58 PDT 2009

bearophile, el 28 de octubre a las 13:19 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella:
>
> > > If that's true then handier (compile-time?) solutions can be found.
> >
> > What do you mean?
>
> For example something run-time that doesn't work with a version(), like
> something that can be added to the GC API. If this is seen as too much
> slow or hard to do, then just the GC may be compiled, and used as
> separated dynamic lib. With LDC other intermediate solutions may be
> possible. Think of this problem from the point of view of someone that
> wants something handy. Debugging data structures is something I do
> often.

You can compile just the GC as a shared object (.so) in Linux and then
preload it to change just the GC implementation at "dynamic-link-time".
Just run:
$ LD_PRELOAD=mygc.so ./myprogram

If your GC with extra checks is compiled as a shared object in mygc.so.