The Thermopylae excerpt of TDPL available online

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Oct 29 07:04:46 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>
>> http://erdani.com/d/thermopylae.pdf Any feedback is welcome.
>> Thanks!
>
> So far I've just taken a look, I'll read it when I can. I can see
> several warnings in red. The look of the text is really nice!
> Elegant, and the images are good and necessary. Are you going to
> write a book with all pages coloured? If true this will increase the
> book price, I think.

Thanks. Unlike most authors, I provide camera-free to the publisher and
carried all of the page design myself. I'm very glad I did.

The book will be in black and white. Notice how every use of color is
also accompanied by a color-independent cue (e.g. bold/slanted). But the
book will also sell in electronic format, which will be color.

> I have seen that you use a nice fount for the
> nonproportional text (like code), it looks similar to the Consolas.
> You may try this one too (but it's not a professional product, it may
> have some rough details):
> http://www.fantascienza.net/leonardo/ar/inconsolatag/inconsolata-g_font.zip

I did consider Inconsolata seriously, but I had to reject it (I forgot
why; all I can remember was that it was a good reason).

Andrei