The Thermopylae excerpt of TDPL available online

Pelle Månsson pelle.mansson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:37:22 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Pelle Månsson wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> It's a rough rough draft, but one for the full chapter on arrays,
>>> associative arrays, and strings.
>>>
>>> http://erdani.com/d/thermopylae.pdf
>>>
>>> Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> Your "Hallå Värd!" should be "Hallå Värld!", to be Swedish. D:
>
> Thanks! Ouch, two mistakes in one word. Also, should I put a comma in
> between the words?

Actually, I see now that you had it as "Hallå, värd!", and it should be
"Hallå, värld!", no need to capitalize the second word.

Unless what you want to say is "Hello, host!", in which case your värd
is correct.

>> Also, I am wondering, why is the undefined behavior of opCatAssign
>> kept? Couldn't every T[] know if it is the owner of the memory in
>> question? Sorry if I bring outdated discussions up unnecessarily.
>
> We don't know how to do that cheaply.
>

> Andrei

How about doing it expensively? Maybe storing a boolean in each T[]? I
think undefined behavior is bad.