Success! (Precisely)

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Fri Oct 30 16:30:26 PDT 2009

"dsimcha" <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:hcdsbq$4i9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> After a few evenings of serious hacking, I've integrated precise heap
> scanning
> into the GC.

Awesome!  Thank you so much for doing this.  Does the GC have knowledge of
pointers on both the stack as well as the heap?

> 3.  new only takes RTTI.  It is not a template.  Unless RTTI gets bitmasks
> in
> the format I created (which I'll document once I clean things up and
> release,
> but has only deviated slightly from what I had talked about here), stuff
> allocated using it won't be able to take advantage of precise heap
> scanning.
> The default bitmask, if none is provided, uses good (bad) old-fashioned
> conservative scanning unless the entire block has no pointers, in which
> case
> it isn't scanned.  This means that we have all the more incentive to
> replace
> new with a template of some kind.

I'm surprised nobody commented on this.  Andrei said Walter decided that new
shouldn't be a template.  But it seems like a good idea to me.  Templated
new has received positive feedback from the community, and here is another
advantage of templated new.

-Craig