"The Case for D" on Ycombinator

Moritz Warning moritzwarning at web.de
Sat Oct 31 10:44:22 PDT 2009

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:50:18 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> #ponce wrote:
>>> Walter Bright Wrote:
>>>
>>> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=911858
>>
>> Added mandatory C++ attacks and D fanboyism
>
> I read the exchange just now (nice job ponce) and am a bit surprised how
> much others know about what I do, e.g how I don't use D. My entire
> doctoral research is implemented in D (to say nothing about phobos). I
> haven't used another language extensively for about three years. And how
> the heck is TDPL a filibuster for D? I think it's accelerating, not
> delaying, D adoption.
>
> Andrei

Because tdpl is (perceived to be?) delayed, D2 finalization is delayed.
But unless D2 is stable, Tango won't switch to D2
and the Tango vs. Phobos won't get (at least) compatible.
LDC might as well switch to D2.

Not that this is entirely correct, but I think tdpl is perceived as
filibuster for these reasons.
As far as I can tell, library and language incompatibilities (Tango/
Phobos, D1/D2) are a big problem. Mostly for newcomers to D.
Those who have settled with a combination may feel more comfortable, but
still.