importing modules with non-identifier names

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Oct 31 10:48:02 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> Has anyone been irked by this? If you have a module called 5th-element.d
> there is no way to import that. I don't think it's a major issue, but
> I'm also seeing it as a limitation that should have a better explanation.

It's a small limitation, but in practice I don't think it will cause significant problems. And it can be seen as a way to keep module names cleaner. The module system has way larger problems that need to be fixed first.

I may even like to further restrict identifiers allowed as module names: only ones that start with a lowercase. This enforces an already existing style guide of D, see "Naming Conventions: Module":
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dstyle.html

Bye,
bearophile