How Nested Functions Work, part 1

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 06:49:12 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> Well repeat should probably always take a delegate since most likely,
> you're going to be passing it a lambda. However I agree that it would
> be very, very nice to be able to make APIs take just delegates and
> allow functions to be implicitly cast to them. You can already make
> your own thunks, but they're not going to be as efficient as something
> that actually works on an ABI level.

The problem is that function pointers and delegates have different
calling conventions.  You *might* be able to rig up an asm stub that
compensated for the difference... not sure.

As it stands, you can just use a function to create the delegate stub
for you; doesn't even require a heap allocation!

http://gist.github.com/140507