Apple Blocks added to C++?

Mattias Holm mattias.holm at openorbit.REMOVE.THIS.org
Thu Sep 3 13:38:48 PDT 2009

Sean Kelly wrote:
> == Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
>> One could argue that gcc has them as an extension but nobody uses them.
>> My experience with adding extensions to DM C++ is that nobody uses them
>> because it is non-standard, not because they are a bad idea.
>
> And that's why I won't be using Apple's new closures, regardless of whether
> I'd actually find them useful.

Yeah, that is a problem. They did add them to GCC (not only Clang)
though, and as far as using GCC extensions, most compilers adopt them
one way or the other. Hopefully, they will be imported from the Apple
branch of GCC to the mainline.

Many things in GCC are just incredibly useful, including the vector_size
attribute, and people are using them, it is not a matter of being non
standard, but rather that the extensions are good enough that enough
vendors implement them.

I think that the blocks are crying out for standardisation, maybe not by
ISO, but by some informal means between compiler vendors.

/ Mattias