DDL should become official part of DMD

Tim_M tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 22:31:15 PDT 2009

BLS Wrote:

> JPF wrote:
> > BLS wrote:
> >> c topic.. what do you think ?
> >>
> >> IMO : this could be a D "killer feature".
> >
> > I don't know how complicated that would be (licensing issues, ...), but
> > as a developer / user I would really like it: It's needed to implement
> > stuff like addins in a convenient way. And it would be great if we could
> > finally use statically loaded shared libraries instead of static
> > compilation of everything (I guess that needs compiler integration, so
> > it's a good reason to include DDL with dmd ;-)). Also, if you look at
> > http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/dll.html#Dcode the current way to do D
> > DLLs for use with D code is not very developer friendly. Exporting flat
> > functions like getMyClass just doesn't feel right. Now compare that with
> > DDLs features: http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddl/wiki/AboutDDL .DDL
> > clearly wins. By the way, I guess most of you know that already, but
> > http://h3.team0xf.com/devlog/?p=12 has an updated version of DDL with a
> > new linker.
>
> I can hear you , but it seems that we are pretty alone.

I didn't want to say much but I actually would like this a lot.

I can't see how this will negatively effect anything else unlike language features so it is kind of on the level of the patch for build tools integrated in 2.031 IIRC.

I guess if someone other than Walter could do the development then he probably wouldn't mind applying the patches.