Modern Windows GUI visual styles

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 12:27:56 PDT 2009

Valery wrote:
> Jeremie Pelletier Wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, the only way to get the newer common controls
>> library is to use an assembly manifest, be it external or compiled
>> as a resource. I haven't looked into DFL but I'm pretty sure it
>> simply generates the proper manifest resource and link it in the
>> executable.
>
> Yes, in DFL creates a manifest file and so on, but it's done at
> runtime by method enableVisualStyles. I think that there should be a
> simpler way to enable new styles independent of library or native
> Win32 API you use.

Indeed, I'd like to know why M$ decided to bundle two versions of the
relevant DLLs and require the programmer to use a manifest in order to
access the modern version.

> Or at least describe the process of change styles through the
> manifest files in the documentation and the section D for Win32 on
> site.

Indeed, I drove myself mad trying to find out how to make it work, and
eventually discovered keeping a .manifest file alongside the .exe.  We
need more resources (NPI) teaching how to do it the tidier way.

Stewart.