Template Metaprogramming Made Easy (Huh?)

Justin Johansson procode at adam-dott-com.au
Wed Sep 9 13:30:43 PDT 2009

language_fan Wrote:

> Tue, 08 Sep 2009 17:25:08 -0400, Justin Johansson thusly wrote:
> > ** Yes I know, there is
> > nothing as pure as LISP macros but since I tend to lead a rather impure
> > life 'D' has my attention now.
>
> I do not know what is so pure in LISP's macros. Macro is a "pure"
> evaluation function that takes a meta-program and outputs another program

I put that caveat in there to avoid being flamed by religious LISPers.  It was a "diplomatic" concession.
The argument I've often seen regarding LISP style macros is that they let you directly manipulate the AST which is why they (well some of them) think macro systems in other PLs are a poor imitation of the one true LISP macro. :-)

> > for Scala, FP etc, perhaps Walter Bright should be considered for a
> > Fields Medal for D :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal
>
> Martin is a computer scientist, Walter is an engineer. Martin creates new
> science, Walter just applies existing knowledge. Those awards are only
> meant for real scientists - engineers have their own award systems.

Indeed; wasn't meant to be taken too literally; poetic license;
my friend's brother has a Fields Medal so I'm well aware what this is.