Floating point rounding modes: we should restrict them slightly

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Sep 10 02:47:12 PDT 2009

#ponce wrote:
> Why not imposing a rounding mode (ex :  toward minus infinity) ?
> And then disallowing to change it in assembly.

You can't impose a rounding mode in a system language: rounding mode is
a crucial feature in a few rare but very important cases. The trick is
to allow those cases without polluting everything else. This tiny
proposal gets rid of most the damage.

However, my previous proposal for fixing the interaction of 'pure' with
rounding modes and exception handling, would allow the rounding mode to
be round-to-nearest almost everywhere, and changeable only in impure
functions inside modules marked module(advancedfloatingpoint). This
could give performance benefits everywhere outside those modules.