Template Metaprogramming Made Easy (Huh?)

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Thu Sep 10 14:17:57 PDT 2009

Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:49:47 -0400, Nick Sabalausky thusly wrote:

> "language_fan" <foo at bar.com.invalid> wrote in message

>> Nowadays when everyone soon has 12-core CPUs in front of them,
>> especially x86-64 ones, managing each register and memory module (cache
>> or main memory) manually is a major pain in the ass.
>
> That's just plain arrogant and ignorant. I swear, the next time I see
> yet another person pulling out the "That's all they offer in the stores,
> therefore that must be only thing that's actually in use, and if anyone
> uses less, well then screw them for not being as big of a consumer whore
> as I am" bullshit, my head's going to explode.

If I go to a store, the cheapest computer I can buy has a dual core cpu -
that's just how it is. The $500..600 class computers have quad cores.
Even the $100..200 range netbooks soon have (if they don't yet) dual
cores. If we assume that most computers just break down in 2-5 years, we
will pretty soon have only multi-core computers left. My old Pentium 2 is
already quite dead and the motherboard in my Athlon XP 2000+ broke down
last year. I've given away all older machines. I really don't expect them
to be functional or usable these days.

> Plus...what in the world makes you think VMed languages don't get
> errors, memory leaks, and race conditions? Segfaults I'll grant you, but
> that's hardly any different for the end-user than an unhandled
> exception.

There are couple of things a VM fixes. Not all of them, but some.
Switching to a safer languages helps even more. I don't like C++.