Template Metaprogramming Made Easy (Huh?)

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Fri Sep 11 09:23:00 PDT 2009

Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:10:28 +0000, BCS thusly wrote:

> If I ever am in a position to do it, I will mandate that executive demos
> will always be first done using a 10-25th percentile machine from our
> current target market. Only once it is shown to run reasonably on that,
> will the team be allowed to show what it can do on better hardware.

I wonder how you can do that. E.g. if you are on the console game
industry, the platforms and their capabilities are well known. No
developer will want to write code for something prev gen. The lead coders
and their superiors also have experience in optimizing the pre-releases
and know how much can be improved each time. Agile development methods
are used so the final result does not really come as a surprise. Often
the timeframe of a final release is as low as 6 months, with one month
iterations. There simply is not time to hand optimize every possible bit.
Many have switched to c# from obj-c and c++, because the legacy languages
just suck when they are in a hurry.