Template Metaprogramming Made Easy (Huh?)

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Fri Sep 11 10:00:46 PDT 2009

Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:33:56 +0000, BCS thusly wrote:

> First, I have zero interest in game development so that's not an issue
> for me.

Game development is one of the largest users of systems programming
languages.

> OK so the lead knows that they can make things x times faster. Well then
> the demo on the 10-25th percentile machine must not be x times slower
> than what you need on ship day. Exactly the same as would be true if the
> demo were done on a 50th or 75th percentile machine.

Well basically you could do that. Usually it does not work that way. The
idea is to prioritize the features and remove the worst ones. It cannot
be known beforehand which features are unnecessary, and there is a hard
limit on how much can be removed. So either you can remove say 30-50% of
features or do a complete redesign. But if you end up using only 50% of
the potential resources of the platform, your game will usually suck (if
the audience is technology oriented as it usually is).

> This is the classic "fast cheap or well done, pick two". For anything
> that will ship, I'll always pick well done.

That is ok if you are a hobby programmer, but in real world e.g. in the
game industry the contracts pretty much dictate the schedules and if you
spend too much time on the project, the producer will not offer any extra
money. So if $1000..$1500 / month is ok for you, then fine.