Writing a language parser in D

downs default_357-line at yahoo.de
Tue Sep 15 00:10:46 PDT 2009

Justin Johansson wrote:
> Can D people please recommend suitable tools for generating a parser (in D) for an LL(1) grammar.  There's bound to be much better parser generator tools available nowadays, since my last foray into this area 10+ years ago with YACC.  I've heard of tools like bison, SableCC etc but apart from the names know nothing about them.
>
> (Note.  This question is not about writing a parser for D.  It is about writing a parser in D for another language which has an LL(1) grammar).
>
> Thanks in advance for all help.
>
> -- Justin Johansson

In a completely different vein, tools.rd is a simplicistic recursive descent parser framework implemented at compiletime that I've used for most/all of my toy languages. It keeps things trivial - there's no lexing stage, it parses straight from input string. It's not that well documented, but if you want, give me a simple language description and I can write you a sample parser. It's probably the easiest to use though - just mix it in from D code :)