shared adventures in the realm of thread-safety.

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 05:00:40 PDT 2009

Graham St Jack Wrote:

> So, what is the design of shared supposed to be then? Its time for Walter
> to buy in and tell us where this is all going - I for one am very
> confused right now.

Here's what I know:
• Bartosz's ownership scheme is delayed until at least D3
• Shared code will be sequentially consistent
• Walter likes the idea of optimizing away memory barriers that the compiler can prove are unneeded (some barriers in synchronized sections)
• Bartosz is rewriting how threads are done similar to what his blogs hint at
• Issues that Bartosz hits with shared are fixed immediately

Here's what I suspect from a number of emails:
• Because every class contains a monitor, Walter/dmd will treat every class as its own monitor for the purposes of optimization.

I too wish Walter would advertise the design, but I think the simple fact is that he doesn't know what the design is!