How Nested Functions Work, part 2

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Sat Sep 19 18:13:24 PDT 2009

Sun, 20 Sep 2009 01:09:56 +0000, language_fan thusly wrote:

> Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:44:33 -0700, Walter Bright thusly wrote:
>
>> Lutger wrote:
>>> Cool article, I posted a comment. Reddit seems to be going downhill
>>> fast though, it's even worse than slashdot.
>>
>> I know, the negative comments don't even make any sense.
>>
>>> Are locally instantiated templates used in phobos?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> I read the comments and I think some of them are justified. You cannot
> really expect the way you built dmd to be the only alternative.
> Efficient closures can be implemented differently if you have a VM that
> supports precise generational gc, region inference, and the language is
> a bit more value oriented (= functional).

Another thing is that often when an article about D is released, the only
positive comments come from the members of the existing (smallish)
community. There is no real interest in D outside the community (IMHO).
Reddit's programming section is full of language fanatics, thus it is a
bit hard to impress folks with tiny tricks as they daily work with
various programming languages and concepts.