How Nested Functions Work, part 2

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:17:38 PDT 2009

Justin Johansson wrote:
> bearophile Wrote:
>
>> - Currently D isn't very useful for the web/mobile, where lot of programmers are.
>
> I'd be interested to know how good D is for implementing scripting/dynamic languages .. maybe that could change the odds?  I know about DMDScript (ECMAScript in D) supposedly being fast, though whatever I've read is no doubt out of date as Javascript engine (performance) wars between Google (webkit) and Mozilla (spidermonkey?) engines have been raging as of late.

It is definitely easier to implement scripting languages in D than it is
in other languages such as C/C++. However where I believe V8 (google's
JS engine) is gaining in performance is at the direct translation of
parse nodes to assembly without using intermediate representation in
between and without the need of an interpreter, they even go as far as
to modify code paths dynamically to gain more performance. I hear
mozilla rewrote their JS engine lately too but didn't check what
improvements they made.