How Nested Functions Work, part 2

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Sep 23 03:24:35 PDT 2009

Walter Bright:

> bearophile wrote:
> > I think C++ is almost a
> > niche language at Google.
>
> Every chance I get, I ask programmers what languages their companies
> use. In the last 5 years, I've seen a steady shrinking of the amount of
> C++ in use. Java and C# increasingly dominate.

Today C# is probably the best general-purpose language+IDE. It has some problems, but they are usually tolerable. Its main problem is to be a proprietary language. C# gives almost the freedom of C++ (and a lot of more freedom than Java), while being "safe" and allowing for good IDEs. Programming in C# is faster, you avoid many bugs and corner cases present in C++ and the language is designed to be not error prone. Probably C# is the language closest to D. The ecological niche for D is shrinking, programmers like VMs with lot of libraries, good IDE and good amount of modules available. I like D, but I don't know if all the work spent on creating D is somewhat wasted effort. My friends don't seem interested in a "better C++"...

Bye,
bearophile