IDEs and programming languages

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Sep 23 11:21:53 PDT 2009

Jeremie Pelletier wrote:
> I also agree with Walter about the lack of an IDE for D as powerful as
> Visual Studio, I myself use poseidon only because of its overly simple
> build process and simple project manager and debug in windbg. But that
> isn't the case with most programmers who like or dislike a language
> based on the IDE they use.

I do hear over and over that without a VS workalike IDE, programmers
just aren't interested in a language. They argue, probably with a lot of
merit, that the productivity increase of using VS is more than the
productivity increase of using a better language.

It's clear Microsoft has hit a home run with VS.

I was talking to some serious hardcore C++ programmers yesterday. One
was a die-hard emacs user, and he admitted that he'd switched to VS and
wasn't looking back, it was that much better. I asked him what the
killer feature of VS was, and he said it was being able to instantly see
every use and definition of a symbol.

(With emacs he'd have to run ctags first, and even then ctags was
inaccurate and clumsy.)