contravariant argument types: wanna?

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 07:54:06 PDT 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:02:59 -0400, Jeremie Pelletier
> <jeremiep at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Yeah most of my display interfaces would make use of covariant
>> arguments, I use main abstract factory for the entire package, and the
>> objects it creates contain factory methods themselves. I plan to have
>> implementations for all of win32, gdk, x11, quartz, cairo, pango, d2d,
>> dwrite, gl, gl3 and finally d3d7 up to d3d11. Most of the client code
>> will therefore see only the interfaces in order to maintain
>> portability, and to allow different implementations to live in the
>> same executable (for example win32/gl/cairo/pango for up to vista or
>> win32/d3d/d2d/dwrite if on win7 and up).
>>
>> Here is a watered down version of a few interfaces I use, which are
>> used by client code:
>>
>> interface IDrawable {}
>> interface IWindow : IDrawable {} // onscreen drawable
>> interface ISurface : IDrawable {} // offscreen drawable
>> interface IDisplayContext {} // base of 2d-3d contextes
>> interface IRenderContext {} // 3d context
>> interface IWindowRenderContext {} // specialized onscreen 3d context
>> interface IRenderer {
>>     IWindowRenderContext CreateRenderContext(IWindow);
>>     ISurfaceRenderContext CreateRenderContext(ISurface);
>> }
>>
>> And some of their current implementation, which are all used within
>> the package:
>>
>> abstract class Win32Drawable : IDrawable {}
>> final class Win32Window : Win32Drawable, IWindow {}
>> final class Win32Surface : Win32Drawable, IWindow {}
>>
>> final class GLRenderer : IRenderer {
>>     GLWindowRenderContext CreateRenderContext(IWindow window) {
>>         if(auto win32Window = cast(Win32Window)window)
>>             return new GLWindowRenderContext(win32Window);
>>         else throw new Error();
>>     }
>>     GLSurfaceRenderContext CreateRenderContext(ISurface surface) {
>>         if(auto win32Surface = cast(Win32Surface)surface)
>>             return new GLSurfaceRenderContext(win32Surface);
>>         else throw new Error();
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> abstract class GLRenderContext : IRenderContext {}
>> final class GLWindowRenderContext : GLRenderContext,
>> IWindowRenderContext {
>>     this(Win32Window) {}
>> }
>> final class GLSurfaceRenderContext : GLRenderContext,
>> ISurfaceRenderContext {
>>     this(Win32Surface) {}
>> }
>>
>> I have over a hundred of such methods doing dynamic casts across all
>> the different implementations like these twos in this package alone, a
>> display interface is quite a large beast.
>>
>> Of course if you can suggest a better way of doing methods expecting a
>> specific implementation of an object, while still allowing client code
>> to call them with the interface pointer, I'd be glad to implement it :)
>>
>> Jeremie

> [...]

Because there will be multiple implementations living in the same
executable. We all know how microsoft likes to force new technology to
new windows versions. I want support for Direct2D, DirectWrite, and all
versions of Direct3D. Which requires different implementations for 7,
vista, and xp. Then some people might have better performance with GL,
for graphic adapter vendor and driver issues, so I'm throwing such an
implementation in the mix. On unix you have a choice of different
windowing toolkits, be it Gnome, Qt, Xfce or directly using X11 but
losing specific features offered by the toolkits.

As for merging IRenderer with the drawables, this wouldn't fit my
design. I use what I call render contexts and paint contexts for 3d and
2d drawing respectively, which are both built upon a common set of
display interfaces to get most of their shared concepts unified and
compatible with one another. I also have font layering and rendering
interfaces usable by the two. And given that many different render and
paint implementations can be used from the same drawable targets, it
wouldn't make sense.

My first design was using version statements but it was far from
flexible enough for my needs. The overhead is mostly needed to allocate
the interfaces, not to use them so the speed isn't affected.

Then you get my I/O interface which roots at simple input/output
streams, then seekable streams, binary streams, file streams, async
streams, pipes, etc. And get different implementations for local
filesystem I/O, sockets, specialized file format abstractions, and
whatnot. So for example a method expecting an IInputStream does not care
what is implementing it, so long as it has a read method implemented, be
it reading data from a file, from a network connection, from a packed
file within an archive. These implementations still need covariant
parameters within themselves for a few things.

Jeremie