.init property for char[] type

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Sep 24 12:52:38 PDT 2009

Justin Johansson wrote:
> Seriously though, I imagine the D design choices to be influenced by
> the desire to propagate NaN and invalid UTF in their respective cases
> so as to detect uninitialized data errors.

That's exactly what drove the design choices.

If there was a nan value for integers, D would use that. But there
isn't, so 0 is the best we can do.

Andrei and I were talking last night about the purity of software design
principles and the reality, and how the reality forces compromise on the
purity if you wanted to get anything done.