Pure dynamic casts?

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Thu Sep 24 16:58:59 PDT 2009

Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:09:59 +1000, Daniel Keep thusly wrote:

> See, people equate "parallel execution" with "threads" these days which
> is half the problem.  Threads are a TERRIBLE abstraction, because they
> don't.  There's no protection.  Almost every time I express the opinion
> that threads are broken, people automatically assume I think we should
> all go back to single-core machines and cooperative multitasking.

Threads come up every once in a while since they are one of the only ways
to implement concurrency on the hardware level of shared memory machines.
Another alternative is message passing. There just are no intelligent,
dynamic low level models that provide e.g. abstractions and protection.

Once you realize this, the only way to build safe concurrent systems is
to provide a safe high level abstraction on top of the hardware and
transform programs written using this abstraction to use low level
threads and messages. As the amount of concurrent threads keeps
increasing, you start to value models that prevent things like deadlocks,
starvation, and accidental concurrent writes to the same location.