Pure dynamic casts?

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 03:29:24 PDT 2009

language_fan wrote:

> Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:59:06 -0600, Rainer Deyke thusly wrote:
>
>> Software is priced to optimize total income, which is net income per
>> unit times number of units sold.  Production costs are not factored in
>> at all.  So the real question is if your $50 software package sells
>> enough additional units to make up for the increase in production costs.
>
> Sure, that is the way it works. But still I think the main motivator for
> customers is the price. It does not really matter if the latest photoshop
> runs on a Pentium 233MMX or requires a dual-core with 4GB of RAM for e.g.
> scaling 5MPix images. The target audience upgrades their hardware anyways
> and the differences between user interfaces is so huge that competition
> is inexistant. The poorer customers first use a pirated version of
> photoshop, and only after gaining some popularity buy the licenses rather
> than use free software like gimp. Optimizing the software will not bring
> adobe more customers. You can see their optimizing policy in the famous
> flash plugin and pdf reader. Performance on both programs is just
> horrible and I could well imagine that a novice programmer built both of
> them.

Yet this poor performance annoys people to no end. I don't know a single
person who isn't irritated by their PDF bloatware, and all my 'tech-savvy'
friends have switched to other PDF readers. Same with IE, I know lots of
people switched to firefox just because of performance, and then some
switched again to Opera or Chrome because even Firefox is too slow.