Null references redux

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 22:00:57 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> language_fan wrote:
>> Maybe Walter has not yet transitioned from the good olde Pascal/C
>> style programming to the C++/D/Java style?
>
> Heh, there's still a Fortran influence in my code <g>.

This may be a good time to ask about how these variables which can be
declared anywhere in the function scope are implemented.

void bar(bool foo) {
	if(foo) {
		int a = 1;
	else {
		int a = 2;

is the stack frame using two ints, or is the compiler seeing only one? I
never bothered to check it out and just declared 'int a = void;' at the
beginning of the routine to keep the stack frames as small as possible.