Null references redux

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 09:35:23 PDT 2009

language_fan wrote:
> Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:08:50 -0400, Jeremie Pelletier thusly wrote:
>
>> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>>> Just out of curiosity: have you ever programmed in Java or C#?
>> Nope, never got interested in these to tell the truth. I only did C,
>> C++, D and x86 assembly in systems programming, I have quite a
>> background in PHP and JavaScript also.
>
> So you only know imperative procedural programming + some features of
> hybrid OOP languages that are not even proper OOP languages.

This is what I know best, yeah. I did a lot of work in functional
programming too, but not enough to add them to the above list.

What is proper OOP anyways? It's a feature offered by the language, not
a critical design that must obey to some strict standard rules.  Be it
class based or prototype based, supporting single or multiple
inheritance, using abstract base classes or interfaces, having funny
syntax for ctors and whatnot or using the class name or even 'this', its
still OOP. If you wan't to call me on not knowing 15 languages like you
do, I have to call you on not knowing the differences in OOP models.

>> I played with a lot of languages, but those are the ones I use on a
>> daily basis. I would like to get into Python or Ruby someday, I only
>> hear good things about these two. I know LUA has less overhead than
>> Python
>
> Oh, the only difference between LUA and Python is the overhead?! That's
> a... pretty performance oriented view on languages.

Yes, I have a performance oriented view, I write a lot of real time
code, and I hate unresponsive code in general. Now I didn't say it was
the only difference, what I said is that it's one influencing a lot
companies and people to pick LUA over Python for scripting.

>> I like extremes :)
>
> If you like extremes, why have you not programming in Haskell or Coq? Too
> scary? You are often arguing against languages and concepts you have
> never used. The other people here who make these suggestions are more
> experienced with various languages.

I meant extremes as in full machine control / no control whatsoever, not
in language semantics :)

I just haven't found a use for Haskell or Coq for what I do yet.